number of markers needed for a squat movement

Hello,

I am interested in the reactions forces in the knee joints. Currently I am using the TLEM model which works with the GaitUniMiami application. I understnad that I can use marker data sets which can define other movements and for this I would be visiting a local gait lab to measure new marker data sets for movements like squating and climibing stairs. I am new to this and I would like to know how many markers I must use on each leg to be able to drive the model easily. Kindly help.

Regards
Prashanth Bedathur

Hi Prashanth,

Basically the marker set of the GaitUniMiami model is quite good, only a few additions will make it better. you can add more markers on the foot, normally at least three markers are needed there to define accuratly the motion.
We also recomend the Plug-in-Gait marker set with an additional marker on the lateral side of the foot.

Best regards, Sylvain.

Hello Sylvain,

Thank you for the reply. So as I understand 3 to 4 markers on the foot be sufficient to drive the model or would I need markers for other parts like knee joint or so? I wanted new marker sets for motions other than normal gait.

Best Regards
Prashanth Bedathur

Hi,

I figured out the number of markers. Thanks.

Best Regards
Prashanth Bedathur

Hi Prashanth,

It’s good that you figured out the number of markers. But just to make things clear and answer you previous question: you still need the markers on the shank, thigh and pelvis. The 3 or more markers on the foot are to be added on top of the usual leg marker set. This is to define correctly both flexion and eversion of the foot (only two markers on the foot are not enough to describe fully those two DOF).

Best regards, Sylvain.

Thanks for your help Sylvain