Passive force in shoulder model

Hi

I have taken the BergmannGH validation model as a starting point and have developed a model with just the scapula, the humerus and the rotator-cuff muscles. The scapula is fixed using AnyStdJoint and the humerus is joined to the scapula using AnySphericalJoint. I have modeled the muscles using AnyMuscleModel3E as I am interested in the passive forces in these muscles.

When I run a kinematics operation with the humerus driver position and velocity set to zero for all dof (i.e. humerus does not move relative to scapula) I get the following error messages:

1. Kinematics (Operation: Main.MyStudy.Kinematics):
    0.0) PreOperation (Operation: Main.MyStudy.Kinematics.PreOperation):
    0.0) InitialConditions (Operation: Main.MyStudy.InitialConditions):
    0.0) …Design variables have been updated.
    0.1) …Load time positions have been re-established.
    0.2) …Kinematic analysis completed. The kinematic constraints have been resolved.
    WARNING(OBJ.MCH.MUS2) : D:/An…dy/MuscleParameters.any : infraspinatus_3 : Muscle without strength : The muscle has been stretched too much
    WARNING(OBJ.MCH.MUS2) : D:/An…dy/W…s/T…s/Feb4/MuscleParameters.any : infraspinatus_5 : Muscle without strength : The muscle has been stretched too much
    WARNING(OBJ.MCH.MUS2) : D:/An…dy/MuscleParameters.any : supraspinatus_1 : Muscle without strength : The muscle has been stretched too much
    WARNING(OBJ.MCH.MUS2) : D:/An…dy/W…s/T…s/Feb4/MuscleParameters.any : supraspinatus_2 : Muscle without strength : The muscle has been stretched too much
    WARNING(OBJ.MCH.MUS2) : D:/An…dy/W…s/T…s/Feb4/MuscleParameters.any : supraspinatus_3 : Muscle without strength : The muscle has been stretched too much
    WARNING(OBJ.MCH.MUS2) : D:/An…dy/W…s/T…s/Feb4/MuscleParameters.any : supraspinatus_4 : Muscle without strength : The muscle has been stretched too much
    WARNING(OBJ.MCH.MUS2) : D:/An…dy/W…s/T…s/Feb4/MuscleParameters.any : supraspinatus_5 : Muscle without strength : The muscle has been stretched too much
    WARNING(OBJ.MCH.MUS2) : D:/An…dy/W…s/T…s/Feb4/MuscleParameters.any : supraspinatus_6 : Muscle without strength : The muscle has been stretched too much
    0.3) …Initial conditions are fully updated.
  2. Kinematic analysis…
  3. …Kinematic analysis completed

My initial thought is that I need to calibrate the muscles to get better estimates for the tendon lengths? Do I have the right idea or is there another problem? If calibration is needed how can you identify what position to calibrate the muscles in?

Thanks

Hi Monique,

You have the right thought. This message is because of incompatibility between the tendon lengths of the muscles and the actual origin-insertion length given by the skeletal dimensions.

Best regards,
John