Question to cervical spine modeling

Hello !
My name is Niclas Wetzel, i work on my diploma thesis at FH Aachen,
Biomechanics laboratory, Prof. Staat (same lab as Jürg Leemann).

My thesis deals with cervical spine modeling and forces/stretching of
the Arteria vertebralis during rotation of the head and vertebral
spine. After completing the whole tutorial, i`m going to start on
modeling the cervical spine (muscles).

My question(s):

  1. Is there already a (more detailed) cervical spine model available ?
    Especially for the cervical spine muscles and ligaments?
  • The standing model from the repository is to complex for my job, i
    guess. I just need the spine with thorax + head, but no
    extremities for modeling the cervical spine muscles. The model should
    be grounded at the pelvis or L5.

  • I´m not sure yet, if i should start with the complex standing model
    or beginning on a new model with including parts from the BREP of the
    repository.

  1. For including the Arteria vertebralis i need the Foramen
    transversaria in the vertebral bodies (C1-C7). As i see from zooming
    at the standing models’ spine, there are no Foramen transversaria yet
    included. Can I model the vertebral bodies with a CAD system ? Which
    one ? & How can i do this? Any ideas? There’s no example in the
    tutorial for doing this and interacting with a CAD-system.

Thanks for answers.
Niclas

Hi Niclas

— In anyscript@yahoogroups.com, “niclaswetzel” <niclas.wetzel@u…>
wrote:
>
>
> Hello !
> My name is Niclas Wetzel, i work on my diploma thesis at FH Aachen,
> Biomechanics laboratory, Prof. Staat (same lab as Jürg Leemann).
>
> My thesis deals with cervical spine modeling and forces/stretching
of
> the Arteria vertebralis during rotation of the head and vertebral
> spine. After completing the whole tutorial, i`m going to start on
> modeling the cervical spine (muscles).
>
> My question(s):
> 1. Is there already a (more detailed) cervical spine model
available ?
> Especially for the cervical spine muscles and ligaments?

No there is not a detailed model on the cervical spine yet. We have
the model of the lumbar region but a cervical model would be good for
many applications.

>
> - The standing model from the repository is to complex for my job,
i
> guess. I just need the spine with thorax + head, but no
> extremities for modeling the cervical spine muscles. The model
should
> be grounded at the pelvis or L5.
>
> - I´m not sure yet, if i should start with the complex standing
model
> or beginning on a new model with including parts from the BREP of
the
> repository.

In the directory BRep/BodyModels a collection of body parts has been
made here you can find the FullBodyModel which is used in the
standingmodel. In the BodyModel directory you will find a Spine
directory, the files in this directory can be included directly from
your main file (like in the standing model). It would be a good idea
to build an application which includes the
bodymodel /BRep/BodyModel/Spine/BodyModel.any

So i think the procedure would be to make a copy of the /Brep/Spine
directory and make your cervical spine model as additions to the
spine model.

> 2. For including the Arteria vertebralis i need the Foramen
> transversaria in the vertebral bodies (C1-C7). As i see from zooming
> at the standing models’ spine, there are no Foramen transversaria
yet
> included. Can I model the vertebral bodies with a CAD system ? Which
> one ?

The system can read .STL files, this is a simple format that most CAD
systems such as Rhinoceros, Solid works etc. can export in.

& How can i do this? Any ideas? There’s no example in the
> tutorial for doing this and interacting with a CAD-system.
>

Take a look in the BRep/Leg3D/Seg.any, here you will find several
places where the command AnyDrawSurf is being used for including
graphics. The last part of the getting started tutorial also includes
intructions on how to do this.

Best regards
Søren

> Thanks for answers.
> Niclas