AnyFE2Abq-mesh file

Dear Anybody staff,

I’m working with AnyFE2Abq. I did all the steps written in Lesson3:Abaqus Interface and everything is OK.
I want to import Femur instead of Clavicle, The procedure including producing .xml file and output.inp file
are conducted correctly, But when I open the .inp file in Abaqus. The file is empty!

I’m suspicious about -m .inp (mesh file). Because, in Tutorial you have already provided Clavicula.inp file (wih coarse mesh),
I Try to make it myself using DrwSurf (I can’t find DrwSTL) in the related Segment folder. I open the .stl file in Solidworks,
change it to solid model and save it as .step file. Then I open the .step file with Abaqus and mesh it, and make .inp file (mesh file).
Please find the .stl file and note that it is not possible to make the mesh coarser that model segments. How can I possibly make larger elements?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards
Fatemeh

Hi Fatemeh,

Unfortunately I could not fully understand what is wrong, but I see a potential problem and a problem that is definitely there.

Problem: Your mesh is provided in mm, but you don’t convert your output into mm from the AnyBody analysis, which is in meters.

Potential problem: Your input deck, which is fine in itself, has *part keywords, and I am a little suspicious if it works. But seeing your OutputRFemur.inp suggests that it works. The converter is not very advanced and the intention was to supply a pure mesh as it often comes from external mesh creation software. Next version of the converter will handle more advanced syntax.

Please try changing the units and let me know if that helped.

Kind regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your rapid reply.
I changed units but the problem is still there.
As I said the Output.inp file is empty and the massage area of Abaqus contains the attached file.

Regards
Fatemeh

Fatemeh,

The error unfortunately relates to the second problem in my first answer. The converter is not advanced enough to parse *part information.

What you can do - please open the generated input file in a text editor, find *SURFACE keyword, and where this name is used further down in the code. Search/replace it in a manner: SURFACENAME->PARTNAME.SURFACENAME

Please let me know if this is clear.

Kind regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

I did what you said, but the problem is still there.
The partname in my mesh file is: RF4
so I changed this sentence:" *surface,name=anybodysurface,type=element"
to : " *surface,name=RF4.anybodysurface,type=element".

The new Abaqus error:
AbaqusException: in keyword *SURFACE, file “OutRF4.inp”, line 4: Period cannot be used within set, surface, orientation, instance, and assembly names in a model defined in terms of an assembly of parts This occurred while parsing the input file. Run the input file through the batch pre-processor to check for syntax errors.

Maybe I didn’t get you well, so I attached my .inp file.

Regards
Fatemeh

Hi Fatemeh,

Whenever you define a set (element or node) or a surface within a part you do not need to add anything:

*part, name= RF4

*elset, elset=anybodysurfaceset, generate
1,30274, 1
*surface,name=anybodysurface,type=element
anybodysurfaceset, S1
anybodysurfaceset, S2
anybodysurfaceset, S3
anybodysurfaceset, S4
anybodysurfaceset, S5
anybodysurfaceset, S6
*node, nset=NS_Leg_Mus_QuadratusFemoris4_1

*end part 

But when you use it for the coupling constraints you should do the trick that i suggested:

*coupling, constraint name=CON_Leg_Mus_QuadratusFemoris4_1, ref node=RF4.NS_Leg_Mus_QuadratusFemoris4_1, surface=RF4.anybodysurface, influence radius=0.010024
*distributing, weighting method=UNIFORM

But I am afraid you will need to move *node definitions into the relevant *part. This is what I meant by saying our converter cannot fully handle it.

Could you please describe what you are trying to achieve? How many parts do you have?

Regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

I replaced the terms but unfortunately, it didn’t work and the error didn’t change.(I attached again the modified OutRF4.inp)

About the second part of your comment(*node…), I don’t have any idea. what can I do?

The purpose of my work is to convert the patient-specific femur (after scaling) with corresponding forces from anybody to Abaqus, in order to predict the fracture pattern. According to my mesh file (attached RF4.inp), I have one part i.e. Right femur.

Thanks for your consideration.
Regards
Fatemeh

Pavel,
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
I wonder if there is any way
[LEFT]to export forces seperate from the geometry? I use trial version and I have just 5 days left!

Regards,
Fatemeh
[/LEFT]

Fatemeh,

I have tried something else - i deleted all parts and assembly keywords from your mesh file, to allow Abaqus itself figure out what is going on. And it just works. See attached screenshot. I am also attaching the Abaqus input decks (i had to zip them).

Kind regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Many thanks for your great advice. I ran .inp file and everything seemed to be correct. I removed inertial force and I considered the centre of femur head (where the software applies inertial force) a fixed boundary condition. I wonder if it is a correct B.C.

The other question is about Scaling, I read tutorial and for a patient-specific .stl file, I wrote CustomScaling.any, MyScalingLaw.any, and MyScalingLaw_Mirrored.any(Mirrored.any) according to explanation. Everything was Ok when applying the procedure in StandingModelScalingDisplay.Main.any file.

Then I tried to apply it for other Anybody example like Standing Model or Lift. As you explained in ScalingCustom.any

1. to include a custom scaling law, I replaced default scaling folder in “C:\Fatemeh\Body\AAUHuman” by My Scaling folder include CustomScaling.any (or ScalingCustom.any), MyScalingLaw.any, MyScalingLaw_Mirrored(Mirrored), and source and target femur .stl files.
  2. I Replaced #include “<ANYBODY_PATH_BODY>\Scaling\ScalingStandard.any” in HumanModel.any by #include “<ANYBODY_PATH_BODY>\Scaling\ScalingCustom.any”

But I encountered an error with this message: “Identifier already defined”.
I appreciate your comments.

Best regards
Fatemeh

Hi Fatemeh,

Good to hear. Everything works for me when I try to include into StandingModel. You should simply include the MyScalingLaw.any before the human model is included. And it will just work:

// INCLUDE BEFORE #include "HumanModel.any"
  #include "YOUR_PATH_TO_SCALING_FOLDER/Scaling/CustomScaling.any" 

// Model of the human body to be used for the analysis  
  #include "<ANYBODY_PATH_BODY>/HumanModel.any"

Please do not modify HumanModel.any, we will not be able to support you if something changes there.

Kind regards,
Pavel

Pavel,

Many Thanks for your effective help.

Best wishes,
Fatemeh

Hi Pavel,

I ran MoCap-Runner.main.any. I tried to convert forces to Abaqus. Everything seemed OK, but in the last step, when I ran AnyFE2Abq.exe, the error occurred, which said your .xml file may not have correct format.
when I opened .xml file by notepad, it sounded Ok but in internet explorer, it looked incorrectly.
I attached all files.

Best regards
Fatemeh

Hi Fatemeh,

Looks like the XML file is somehow broken. Have you tried regenerating it? I can’t really say what caused it from the information you gave and how to fix it.

I get a similar behaviour, but it seems that the XML format is broken. Do you think you could shorten the simulation output somehow? It looks like a very large file and I can’t really check it to find a problem in XML tags.

Thanks,
Pavel