Define Pathological Spinal Curvature for Scoliosis Model

Hallo everybody,
I am a new AnyBody user and want to use the Programm for my masters thesis about scoliosis.
I have an idea what I want to simulate, but because I have never used AnyBody before I would like to know if its possible to do what I have in mind. So it would be really great if you can tell me if my idea can work out or not.

For my Thesis I want to design a mechanical trunk model, whose spine curvature can be manipulated.
Because its very hard to include and validate all muscles, ligemanents etc. I want to simulated the predefined pathological spine curvature in AnyBody and see how the body parts, such as ribs and shoulders reacts to the applied pathology curve.
As a simulation output I just want to get he final position of the bony structure (shoulders, ribs etc.) to implement it in my mechanical model.

So I would like to use the HumanStanding model and individualize it for my purpose.
I am thinking about the following steps:

1. I would like to change the STL files of the vertebras with STL files of the vertebras I use in my mechanical model
  2. For creating a defined pathology I would like to displace each vertebra lateral/medial and anterior/posterior and also define the rotation and tilt for each vertebra.
  3. I will run a simulation to see how the ribcage, shoulders, etc. react due to the new pathological spine curvature and export the final position (for example by landmarks).

I would be so glad if you can help me!

Best
Viktoria

Dear Viktoria,

If i understand correct you want to create a kinematic model of the spine and somehow transfer this model onto your mechanical setup. When you talk about body reacting to the pathology - it could mean a lot of things. Do you need muscle and joint forces to describe body reaction or something else?

I believe that this is possible to create a model and relate this model to your mechanical one. Currently the research group from Aalborg University is working on the scoliosis model and probably has made some good progress in this area. Please try contacting: @Hamed_Shayestehpour to find out more details.

Kind regards,
Pavel

Hey Pavel,

Thank you so much for your answer and for the contact you gave me!

The goal of my thesis is to create a Torso model (spine and corresponding skin surface)
With this model I want to compare two techniques of spine imagining:
A non invasive technique that uses the surface of the human back to estimate the spine curvature (Diers Systems) and the standard x-ray technique.

Therefore, I want to build a mechanical set up / mechanical phantom with a defined spine curvature ("deformaty") and the corresponding skin surface. The problem I have is to estimate the position of the ribs and shoulders for the defined spine deformaty.

So in AnyBody I want to define the orientation (Rotation, tilt, displacement) of the vertebra. But I dont want to measure the reaction forces of the deplacement/change of the spinal curvature. I would like to make a model that is more or less identical to the HumanStanding model, but the instead of the "normal" spine it has a "deformed" spine from the beginning. As an outcome I would like to get the position of some landmarks of the ribs and shoulders. Afterwould I would like to orientate the ribs and shoulders in the same Position in my mechanical setup, not by muscles but by a fixation System.

So the goal of the simulation in Anybody would be to know how the final position of the shoulder and ribs are for a HumanStanding model with a deformed spine.

Again thank you so much
Best
Viktoria

Hi Viktoria,

So it is a kinematic model and you want AnyBody model to adapt ribs and everything else by introducing spinal curvature. It may be possible since Hamed solves exactly this problem, but virtually. But i think the default AnyBody model will not handle it automatically. Your best option is to talk to him or any other group that works on the scoliosis.

Kind regards,
Pavel

This topic was automatically closed 125 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.