Exporting vertex forces from contact calculation for FEA

Hello!
My name is Eva and I am interested in modeling the glenohumeral joint.

I was wondering if it would be possible to export vertex forces from a contact calculation, to use for an FE model. I believe that this data is calculated in some AnyBody models, and I was wondering if it could be exported. For example, in the Sins et al. 2015 model, contact area and center of pressure are calculated, the latter being weighted by the vertex reaction forces. Total contact forces also seem to be calculated based on summing all of the vertex contact forces. This suggests to me that this information should be possible to export, but looking at the AnyBody code, I cannot find where this summation is calculated, or how to access the vertices and their forces before the summation step.
Thank you very much,
Eva

Hi Eva,

the AnyForceSurfaceContact class has output variables computing center of pressure and resulting force and moment. Probably the easiest, if you output those using AnyOutputFile (check ref. manual). You can then import results into your FEA model.

If you want to recompute these values in some special coordinate system - check AnyForceMomentMeasure2 class.

Kind regards,
Pavel
Kind regards,
Pavel

Thank you very much. Is there also a way to export all of the vertices in the area of contact and the individual forces acting on each vertex?

Thank you,
Eva

Not using AnyBody native tools (maybe some time later in the future). We currently do not store huge amount of data (surfaces can have hundreds of thousands of vertices multiplied by hundreds of time steps).

You have a few options:

• export equivalent loads acting on the humeral head and glenoid surface; perform contact simulation in FEA using these boundary conditions
  • another one is to export kinematics of the geometries and compute intersection of volumes and the contact forces yourself
  • use the equivalent forces and assume articulation

Kind regards,
Pavel

Thank you very much Pavel}

This topic was automatically closed 125 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.