Units issues when trying to use AnyFEconverter tool

[11:45] Diarra, Mariam
Hello evryone,

I'm currently utilizing the AnyFE Converter Tool for Abaqus in one of my models. However, I'm encountering an issue related to the units of my two models. In the original INP file, the units are specified in millimeters, while in AnyBody, the units are in meters. I believe this is one of the issues causing the conversion to not work

Is there a method to modify the units in AnyBody to be in millimeters, or is it possible to adjust the units during the export of the XML file?

Thank you.

Mariam

Hi Mariam,

When you export an stl file from AnyBody, you can specify a scaling factor. You can use this scaling factor to export the stl file in mm.

Does this help you?

Best regards,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your input. This will be very helpful when if I decide to start a new model.

In the meanwhile, I decided to change the units of my Abaqus model and try to make the converter tools with it. With that, I've been able to write a output inp file using the AnyFeconverter tool. However when I open it in Abaqus it is completly empty.

I've tried to see what is the problem but I can't find it.

Could you help me with this issue ?

Mariam

Hi Mariam,

It just might be that you need to zoom in or zoom out because of the difference in units between Abaqus and AnyBody.

Also, please see this tutorial. There is an option to apply a transformation during the export using the line:

AnyFE2Abq.exe -i ..\files_in\clavload.xml -o ..\files_out\output.inp -m .\clavicula.inp –r segment –t "a11 a12 a13 a21 a22 a23 a31 a32 a33 dx dy dz"

Please check the force and moment results of such conversion to make sure they are recalculated.

Best regards,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your answer, it helps with my issue. I've checked that the efforts are correctly recalculated using the clavicle from the tutorial. However, I still have a problem with my model.

The program (AnyFE2Abq.exe) does not work when launched through AnyBody. The window opens and then closes almost immediately, but there is no output file generated.

Nevertheless, when I use the console of my computer and launch the converter tool without going through the AnyBody interface, the program runs, and an output file is created. However, there are errors, and the loads are not created in Abaqus.

Do you have any idea why it does not work when I use the AnyBody interface directly?

Hi Diarra,

Please try to capture the content of the message window it displays, when running the operation sequence in AnyBody.

The converter works in the same way if you execute it manually or through an operation sequence in AnyBody.

What are the error messages?

Best regards
Søren

Hi Søren,

Unfortunately, the window closes too quickly after launching the "ConvertToAbq" application in AnyBody, and as a result, I am unable to capture a screenshot of the window to understand what is happening.

Regarding the manual use of the converter, I have attached a picture below that illustrates what occurs when I directly utilize the converter without going through the AnyBody interface:

The message indicates that the program is utilizing a local reference frame, but I am unsure about which one it is referring to. I am unable to use the -t or -r options, as in the AnyBody interface, which poses an issue for my model, I believe.

Is there a manual method for using the converter that would allow me to address this?

In Abaqus, the errors are related to the misplacement of keywords (*NODES, *SURFACE, *COUPLING, *DISTRIBUTING) in almost all lines of the output file.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind Regards,
Mariam

Hi Mariam,

Concerning running the converter from AnyBody the issue could also possibly be related to paths, try to ensure that the working path is set correctly, see the "WorkDir" settings

Lesson 3: Abaqus Interface — AnyBody Tutorials v7.4.3 (anyscript.org)

Secondly it could be a license issue are you running the converter from the same location when you run it manually ? you need to ensure the license file is named "license.lic"

I am unsure about the errors you get in Abaqus, have you tried to run the tutorial through and did that work for you?

Best regards
Søren

Hi Søren,

You were right, I had an error in the working directory path. After I corrected it I was able to use the converter directly from the AnyBody interface so this issue is settled.

I made sure beforehand that the licence file is located at the right place. I have been able to use the converter to do the tutorial before.

Yes, I've successfully completed the tutorial with the clavicle before proceeding with my own model. The converter ran without any issues, and I was able to generate an INP file that I could import in Abaqus with the muscles' attachments and loads without any problems. However, when I import the generated INP file of my model into Abaqus, the error that I mentioned earlier occurs. I have attached a screenshot of the error I encountered with my model.

I've examined the structure of the generated input file after using the converter with both the tutorial and my model, but I haven't observed any notable differences.

Do you have an idea as for why theses errors might appear ?

Kind Regards,
Mariam

Hi Mariam,

Would it be possible for you to share the generated INP file, this might help us to provide some insight.

Best regards
Søren

Hi Mariam,

I briefly looked at your files. Your L4.inp contains a material section, which if inserted verbatim, will precede the code from L4wLoad.inp, and maybe this is why Abaqus produces "Misplaced keyword" error. You could try splitting the L4wLoad.inp into nodal information file and include in the part block, and secondly add loads in the relevant section. So instead of including L4.inp into L4wLoad.inp, include parts of L4wLoad.inp according to their function.

Secondly, the converter is not very smart and it may not fully be able to parse Abaqus input decks with multiple parts and other special keywords. Please check that it works. The converter is just an example / a very simple and generic tool to demonstrate how the loads can be transferred.

Kind regards,
Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Thank you for your input.

In the file L4.inp, there were the keywords "Part" and "End Part." Following your logic, I assume that everything written in L4wLoad.inp was not supposed to be written outside the "Part" section, which caused errors with "Misplaced keywords." By changing this, I was able to import the L4wLoad.inp file into Abaqus, and the additions from AnyBody appear correctly.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Kind Regards,
Mariam

Hello AnyBody community,

I am facing issues with the use of the AnyFEconverter tool.

After I scaled my AnyBody model to fit the Abaqus' one, I tried using the converter again.

I've tried to do it in different way :

Initially, I exported forces in the Abaqus reference frame and utilized only the -t option to scale from meters to millimeters. However, this led to an Abaqus file with approximately 894 constraints, resulting in a simulation error. This error seems to be associated with all constraints created by the converter. You can see belloy what these errors looks like.

Next, I exported forces in the AnyBody Global Reference frame and applied the -t option, using a transformation matrix to convert points from the AnyBody reference frame to the Abaqus frame. (I used the transformation matrix from the rigidbody transformation used in the scaling tutorial). This resulted in way less constraints created (306) but they are displaced. The vertebra is on the upper right of the photo and the constraints are regrouped near the yellow reference frame :

Finally I tried to export the force in the Abqaus reference frame but using the -rsegment option ans the -t option to apply a transformation matrix to convert the points from the local segment reference frame to the Abaqus' one. This one result in less contraints created (120) but then again they are displaced.
In the picture bellow you can see what it looks like : The vertebra is on the upper right of the photo and the constraints are regrouped near the yellow reference frame.

I suspect that the issue might lie in my use of transformation matrix but it does not explain why the simulation does not work when the constraint seems rightly placed.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mariam

Hi Mariam,

Yours first solution with unit conversion seems to be the most reasonable. But as the error message suggests what is lacking is the influence radius conversion (it's probably still in meters).

I am not sure whether this is a bug in converter or something else is wrong. But could you try converting "influence radius" to mm and see if this resolves?

Kind regards,
Pavel

HI Pavel,

I tried changing the influence radius in the command line of the converter and it worked. The simulation worked.

However I am not sure I understood how the influcence radius option of the converter works.

So when I don't specify the influence radius, it supposedly means that it is 1cm. When I use the converter I get these coupling constraints :

Then I changed the influence radius, the command I used is the following.

When I did that the influence raidus of the coupling constraints changed to that :

hen I employed the -e option with a value of 10 (-e 10), does this imply that I am requesting an influence radius of 10 cm? If that's the case, why does it vary among coupling constraints?

I would greatly appreciate if you could help me understand.

Kind Regards,

Mariam DIARRA

Hi Mariam,

Sorry for the late reply.
The influence radius is computed to cut a surface with 1cm radius. So you will not see 1cm unless is perfectly on the surface.

Kind regards,
Pavel