Using Thoracic.main.any to construct spinal curvature in scoliosis

When aiming to create an initial model that exhibits a curvature, could you specify which sections of the code within the model need to be manipulated and how they should be adjusted to achieve this effect? A comprehensive explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Jack,

Thoracic.Main is a good example to start with the new thoracic model. There in the main file, you can specify the range of motion of flexion-extension, lateral bending, and axial rotation. You simply input the whole spine angle and the model uses some rhythms to drive the whole spine.

Regarding Spine Rhythm: In the new thoracic model, there are 12 thoracic vertebrae. As default, we have spherical joints between the vertebrae, which leaves 36DOF to drive (3DOF for each joint). Basically, rhythms are the drivers for these needed DOFs.

If you want to create a spine posture from a dataset, then you need to remove the rhythms and make drivers for all these DOFs.

But basically, you need to adjust the spine angles in order to use the model, and the ribcage will find its posture based on the spine posture and that is the beauty of it :slight_smile:
I hope it helps.
Hamed

Dear Hamed,
Now that I can adjust the rhythm, how do I adjust the initial state of the relative positions of the spinal vertebrae in the kinematics dynamics?
If you can provide more detailed help, it will bring me a great help! :wave:
Jack

We've found how to adjust rhythm's code to build scoliosis.We change the value of 'DriverPos' to adjust the initial state of relative positions of the spinal vertebrae.

1 Like