Exporting muscle's force and power

Hi.
Thanks for your previous assistance.

After inverse dynamics simulation, I’m going to report the results. I have a question about the magnitude of Muscle forces and powers. How can I report just a number (or graph) for each muscle while In the results tree, there is not just one number for each muscle? Some examples are:

1. First Example: Tibialis anterior results consisted of: TibialisAnterior1, TibialisAnterior2 and TibialisAnterior3. or Gluteus Maximus consisted of GluteusMaximusSuperior1, GluteusMaximusSuperior2, …, GluteusMaximusSuperior6.

What should I do to find the force generated in these muscles? Should I sum these numbers or make an average?

1. Second example: The results for psoas muscle consisted of:

PMT12I_TM.Ft PML1I_TM.Ft PML1T_TM.Ft PML2I_TM.Ft PML2T_TM.Ft PML3I_TM.Ft PML3T_TM.Ft PML4I_TM.Ft PML4T_TM.Ft PML5_TM.Ft PML5T_TM.Ft PMT12I_TM.Ft PML1I_TM.Ft PML1T_TM.Ft PML2I_TM.Ft PML2T_TM.Ft PML3I_TM.Ft PML3T_TM.Ft PML4I_TM.Ft PML4T_TM.Ft PML5_TM.Ft PML5T_TM.Ft

How can I report just one graph of psoas force or power? Sum all of them or get an average or what?

I need to report the exact magnitude of work done by each muscle to do an activity.

Kind Regards,
Soheil

Hi Soheil,

Muscle branches in the model are a simplified representation of a complex muscle architecture. For example, the Psoas Major muscle attaches to many different vertebra and depending on the tasks some will activate, some will not.

Similarly to very wide sheet muscles - some parts could be activated separately. Example

You would have to decide yourself what it is you are after. Depending on your task you could, for example, if focus on forces acting on L1, then you would choose a particular Psoas Major branch. But say you focus on pelvis - then you could compute a net force for a particular muscle/muscle group.

AnyForceMomentMeasure2 VastusLateralisNetForceMoment = {
  AnyRefNode &ref = ..HipNodeRef.NetForceMomentNode;

AnySeg &seg1=..Femur;      
  AnyFolder &f1	=	 Main.Studies.HumanModel.BodyModel.Right.Leg.Mus.VastusLateralisInferior1;				
  AnyFolder &f2	=	 Main.Studies.HumanModel.BodyModel.Right.Leg.Mus.VastusLateralisInferior2;				
  AnyFolder &f3	=	 Main.Studies.HumanModel.BodyModel.Right.Leg.Mus.VastusLateralisInferior3;				
  AnyFolder &f4	=	 Main.Studies.HumanModel.BodyModel.Right.Leg.Mus.VastusLateralisInferior4;				
  AnyFolder &f5	=	 Main.Studies.HumanModel.BodyModel.Right.Leg.Mus.VastusLateralisInferior5;				
  AnyFolder &f6	=	 Main.Studies.HumanModel.BodyModel.Right.Leg.Mus.VastusLateralisInferior6;				
  AnyFolder &f7	=	 Main.Studies.HumanModel.BodyModel.Right.Leg.Mus.VastusLateralisSuperior1;				
  AnyFolder &f8	=	 Main.Studies.HumanModel.BodyModel.Right.Leg.Mus.VastusLateralisSuperior2;				

AnyVec3 Mlocal=M*ref.Axes;
      AnyVar MHipAbduction=Mlocal[0];
      AnyVar MHipFlexion=Mlocal[2];
      AnyVar MHipExternalRotation=Mlocal[1];

};

Please check for the reference manual on this class. I just quickly compiled something that looks like a real code.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Pavel

This topic was automatically closed 125 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.